Sunday, July 13, 2008

SAPP to proceed with no-confidence motion - NST

KUALA LUMPUR: Jul 13, 2008

In an about-turn, the Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) has reiterated its initial stand that it has lost confidence in the prime minister.
Its secretary-general, Datuk Richard Yong, said this in a statement posted on its official website yesterday to clarify news reports that SAPP had dropped its no-confidence motion.

He reiterated that the party would proceed with the proposed motion of no-confidence against the prime minister when the time comes.

But, he added, that it would not be carried out at the moment in order not to fall into the trap of some racialist opportunists, especially in view of the current volatile situation in the country.

He also noted that its MP for Tawau, Datuk Dr Chua Soon Bui, had at Parliament House yesterday clarified the news reports on her interview on Monday which had been distorted as she had never said SAPP had dropped the proposed motion.
Meanwhile, at the Parliament lobby yesterday, SAPP deputy president Datuk Eric Enchin Majimbun said the party was still upholding its position on the matter of a motion of no confidence against Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

"To be frank, we have not forwarded the motion yet but we may do so in future," he said.

Eric, who is also Sepanggar MP, noted that the party would probably not file the motion at this point of time.

"We have to look at all the scenarios that are happening around us. So, at the moment it may not be suitable (to file the motion)," he said.

When asked about the apparent threats made against him and Chua, Eric remained cautious.

"The threat is in the past, but I cannot say that (it is over). However, I feel safe in Malaysia. This is our country and we should feel safe in our own country."

Two rebel MPs to back motion - Malaysiakini

Jul 13, 2008

Two rebel lawmakers from Abdullah's ruling BN coalition have vowed to back the opposition debate.

Sabah Progressive Party (Sapp) parliamentarians Eric Enchin Majimbun and Chua Soon Bui have pledged their vote for an opposition motion of no-confidence against Abdullah.

More news at:

Saturday, July 5, 2008

SAPP ticks off two other BN parties - The Star


A spat has started between rebellious Sabah Progressive Party and two other Barisan Nasional parties as the party prepares to reply to a show-cause letter.

The SAPP felt it was wrong for two Sabah brethrens to push for its expulsion from Barisan Nasional when all it was doing was fighting for a better future for Sabahans.

The party deputy president Datuk Raymond Tan, who opposes his president Datuk Yong Teck Lee's no confidence move against the Prime Minister, ticked off Parti Bersatu Sabah and Liberal Democratic Party.

Tan, who is also Deputy Chief Minister, said that the move by PBS and LDP to allegedly table and second a motion at the Barisan management and supreme council meeting to expel SAPP was wrong.

He claimed that the two components had shown their bias against SAPP even before the party had a chance to explain its views in response to the show-cause letter.

However, both LDP and PBS have denied claims made in new reports that the two parties were pushing for SAPP’s expulsion and asked Tan to check his facts.

PBS president Datuk Joseph Pairin Kitingan denied the report on his party's move to sack SAPP as a "rumour" on an online news portal that was quoted in a national news agency report.

Pairin said that it was a baseless and ridiculous claim that could cause a split in Barisan.

LDP Information Chief Albert Kok Yuk Ken said Tan should have checked his facts before making any statements.

SAPP has been given 30 days from July 1 to reply to a show-cause letter from Barisan after which the ruling coalition will decide on whether to reprimand, suspend or sack the party of two MPs and four assemblymen.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

YONG: Plenty of time to reply to showcause letter - NST


The Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) had ample time to reply to a show-cause letter from the Barisan Nasional (BN) which it received on Tuesday, said its president Datuk Yong Teck Lee.

SAPP had 30 days to respond to the letter which was issued on June 30, he said.

He declined to delve on the issue.

The show-cause letter demanded an explanation on three main issues, namely the party’s proposed vote of no-confidence against Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, its statement that there was no guarantee that SAPP would still be in BN after August, and SAPP’s loss of confidence in the Prime Minister.

Last week, BN deputy chairman Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak had said SAPP would be given 30 days to reply and defend itself, after which the supreme council would meet again to decide whether to issue the component party a warning, impose a suspension or to expel it from the coalition.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Dompok: Give federal royalty to Sabah - NST

KOTA KINABALU: Jun 30, 2008

Upko president Tan Sri Bernard Dompok has suggested that the five per cent royalty the Federal Government receives from Petronas for oil extracted from Sabah be given back to the state.
He said it would be a wise move in response to the persistent call by Sabah leaders for an increase in oil royalty.

"If we want to give Sabah more money, this is the easiest thing to do for now."

He said changing the agreement with Petronas in which Sabah and the Federal Government would each receive a five per cent oil royalty would be a hassle.

Dompok said he agreed with the principle that Sabah should get more money for its oil.
"To Sabahans, that is the right thing to do."

Dompok, who is Minister in the Prime Minister's Department, was speaking after attending a seminar on oil and gas development in Sabah organised by the party's Youth wing.

He said developing the oil and gas industry in Sabah was important and could be the anchor of the Sabah Development Corridor. He added the industry would would provide job opportunities for the people.

He also said the Sabah-Sarawak gas pipeline project to the Petronas LNG complex in Bintulu would not allow Sabahans to be involved in the industry.

He suggested that the government develop the Sabah Oil and Gas Terminal in Kimanis instead.

He said he was made to understand that the gas pipeline project was to be halted but according to reports, Petronas would proceed with the RM390 million project.

"I think the Sabah government should insist that the pipeline be stopped. It is in Sabah's interests to look at the bigger picture."

Dompok said he had spoken to the prime minister and Petronas and was waiting for their response.